EMS Students Celebrate Halloween

Lucy Bongiorno, Writer

COVID-19 has affected a lot of student’s lives in many ways, one being Halloween. Because of COVID, most students were forced to modify their Halloween traditions to stay safe. The MDHHS (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services,) made recommendations about trick or treating and staying safe during the Halloween weekend, which includes wearing masks, following social distancing guidelines, avoiding being around big crowds, and only trick-or-treating at houses that have safety measures.

There was a big debate this year whether trick-or-treating was safe or not. Eighth grader, Emma Walters, went trick-or-treating around her neighborhood and felt like people were being cautious: wearing masks, social distancing, etc. She said she wore a mask and felt like trick-or-treating in her neighborhood was safe.

Although, this isn’t always the case. Some kids and houses don’t always follow safety measures. Eighth grader, Lydia Hess, doesn’t think that trick-or-treating this year is safe. “Lots of people are touching lots of candy and giving it to people and spreading it around,” Hess states. So instead, Hess went to a Halloween party with her friend and followed safety measures by wearing a mask and social distancing, unfortunately, she and her friend were one of the only ones doing so. Hess thinks that it’s okay to hang out in a small group as long as no one has tested positive and hasn’t come in contact with anyone else that have tested positive for COVID-19 recently. Walters also stated that she felt as though it was okay for people to be hanging out with friends, as long as they are wearing masks.

Overall, the balance between being safe and having fun this Halloween was very relative based on people’s values and concerns. Having fun is very important to students, however many also see the worth in being safe while doing so.