(Isabel Seymour )

Isabel Seymour

Is Homework Reasonable?

October 24, 2019

Like all of us, I am at school from 7 a.m. to 2:31 p.m. Then I have volleyball practice until 5:30 p.m. Twice a week I have games that take as long as two hours. I’m tired. 

But when I get home, instead of relaxing, I have to pull out my homework.

Each assignment might just take 30 to 60 minutes. But we have many classes and that means many other teachers so all the homework can add up to be a lot. Instead of getting the rest we need, we have to stay up to finish our homework. Then we are very tired and unable to focus the next day. 

Seventh grader Roxy McClellan plays volleyball, basketball and tennis.   

“It’s hard to manage sports and homework,” she said. 

I believe after school and weekends is your time to relax and do other fun things that you enjoy, instead of worrying about school. And one New York school district agrees me. 

Starting this school year, the Long Beach school district is eliminating homework for elementary school children. In their letter announcing their decision, they told parents they are “eliminating ‘traditional’ elementary homework. Instead we are asking every child and every family to WRaP every night: Wonder, Read,. and Play”.

The recommendation by the National PTA and the National Education Association is that students should have about 10 minutes of homework for each grade level. But that means a seventh grader like me has more than an hour of homework each night. That seems like too much.

“Homework is sometimes necessary for practice but it is important not to give homework to just give it,” social studies teacher Jill Justin said. Justin does not give out too much homework, mostly just finishing up what you did not finish in class.

A study conducted by Sydney University found that countries that give more homework actually have lower test scores.

U.S,. News reports that most of the stress young people experience have to do with school. Students wake up very early to attend hours of classes each day, and then have homework as well as some sort of after school activity. Students can go home totally lost and unable to fully understand things they have done in class, making them very frustrated and overwhelmed when they attempt to do homework. Most teachers give students homework that they say should only take fifteen minutes but add up to really being about 45 minutes for most students. 

“Homework takes up too much time, and we are already at school for a long time,” said seventh grader Caroline Henkel. “It takes away our home time.”

Edutopia suggests that the homework cutoff point is 90 minutes of homework daily. After that, test scores begin to go down and student’s motivation and focus begin to wan.

This what happens to me. When I had a little homework, I was fine and always did it first thing. Now that I’m getting more homework, I get so stressed and don’t even want to start it. I just want to do something fun with my family or friends when I get home, or just rest after being in school for seven hours. So I procrastinate and then I get angry. In the end, I’m so tired, I end up not doing my best. I mean i am doing the best I can in that moment, but if I were not so tired and mad about the quantity of homework, I could do much better.

“We have lives out of school,” said seventh grader Elyse Heffner. “We deserve the right to do other things besides school work.”