Photo Courtesy of: Pexels.com

Should There Really be a Second Amendment?

April 12, 2018

A few weeks ago, chaos broke out in Parkland, Florida. Just before classes were let out on Wednesday, former student Nichols Cruz walked into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School heavily armed and started shooting, killing 14 students and three staff members and leaving many people across America questioning the Second Amendment.

Eighteen school shootings have occured in America just this year, giving rise to the idea of repealing the Second Amendment. But repealing the Second Amendment is not enough. Guns should be illegal. This would make for a much safer country and it decreases crimes and violence in the United States.

Firearms killed 13,286 people in a United States in 2015. If guns weren’t allowed, the number of innocent people dying in the United States would decrease dramatically. Letting people carry guns around means there is a greater chance of the gun being used and a greater chance of more Americans being killed.

Many crimes in America are committed using a gun. In 2015, there were around 1,197,704 violent crimes in the nation. Guns were used in 71.5 percent of murders, 40.8 percent of robberies, and 24.2 percent of aggravated assaults.

Photo Courtesy of: Pexels.com

In 1996, a mass shooting occurred in Dunblane, United Kingdom, taking the lives of 16 students and staff. By 1997, the United Kingdom’s government imposed stricter gun laws that included: a ban on private handguns, much more detailed background checks, and a gun buy-back program.

Also in 1996, another mass shooting occurred in Port Arthur, Australia, just a month after the shooting in Dunblane.

The Australian government acted even more quickly than the United Kingdom. In just 12 days, the government imposed strict gun control laws which included a ban on all rapid fire rifles, a requirement that all individuals have to register their weapons, and a government gun buy-back program.

More recently, in 2009, another school shooting took place in Winnenden, Germany. A 17-year-old killed 16 students and staff. Three months later, the German Parliament introduced much stricter gun laws, which included tougher fines if the guns weren’t locked away, police inspection of gun owners’ homes, and an age requirement of 18 to fire a rifle was required.

As these others countries take a stand, introducing strict laws on guns, we do nothing. After repeated mass shootings — in Sandy Hook, Miami, Las Vegas and now Parkland, Florida — the government doesn’t do anything about it. They are all talk and no action.

Decreasing the number of shootings around the United States to zero may be a hard thing to do, but if we want a safe country we need to act. We cannot sit around while American lives are being taken. By repealing or at least reinterpreting the Second Amendment we can decrease the number of gun related incidents and purposeful violence. We need to take action before another mass shooting occurs taking the lives of more innocent people.