Your Source for Trojan News

The Link

History Speaks to Us, We Must Choose To Listen

Photo+Courtesy+of%3A+
Photo Courtesy of:

Photo Courtesy of:

Photo Courtesy of:

Mia Moeggenberg, EMS Press Staff

The Middle East has been a disputed and war-torn area for many years, and nothing shows this more than the continued civil war in Syria. Pressures from terrorist groups and even the Syrian government are forcing Syrian citizens out of their devastated home country.

What started as a protest in the Syrian city of Deraa, has turned into a full blown war. According to BBC News, in March 2011, government security forces began to fire on pro-democracy demonstrators in Daraa, killing many. As of today, over 480,000 Syrians have been killed, including civilians and soldiers, according to the website. “I am Syria.” Even more citizens have been displaced.

As the war escalates, so does the already large number of refugees pouring out of Syria.

Refugees go to extreme measures to escape. Many travel by sea in overcrowded, flimsy rafts. This, sadly, went wildly unnoticed until a single, disturbing picture was seen by much of the world. It showed a toddler found dead on a Turkish beach. The boy’s name was Aylan Kurdi, and he was not the only to drown on this terrifying journey. He died alongside both his mother and older brother. Though his story is one of the most well known, millions of Syrians have similar accounts.

Countries such as Jordan and Lebanon are flooded with refugees. US News reported that as of 2015 there were 182 refugees per 1,000 people in the small country of Lebanon.

But some countries have not taken in any refugees. Countries including Qatar, United Air Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Russia, Singapore, and South Korea have denied any refugees entrance to their countries.

No, you did not read that incorrectly. Zero Syrian refugees have been admitted, despite the millions displaced around the world.

This situation has frightening parallels to a devastating issue in history: the Holocaust.

Students here at East have read about the awful, unimaginable life of German Jews in concentration camps during World War 11. However, many do not know that this actually started as a refugee crisis.

By 1939 about 282,000 Jews had escaped Germany, according to The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Due to such a large number of refugees and the fact that more people were seeking asylum than countries were willing to take in, many were unable to escape. By October 1941, 163,000 Jews remained in Germany.

Th

Photo Courtesy of: wikimedia.or

e majority were murdered in concentration camps over the course of the war.

If nothing about the horrible conditions of the Syrian refugees shows how much help they need, look to the story of the Jewish refugees in Germany. Their inability to escape resulted in a devastating  massacre.

Many deny the connection between these two refugee crises, saying it is a rash and unfair comparison. But it is irresponsible to not at least consider a bit of a resemblance.

So it is best to be wary; we must learn from the past or history will be repeated. Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not help us in the future. Just imagine: in another 70 – 80 years middle school students may be reading about the Syrian civil war, just as we read about the Holocaust today.