The Link

Dress Codes

Caroline Sheerin, EMS Press Staff

No short-shorts, no above-the-knee skirts or dresses, or heaven forbid, your bra is showing. Why can’t people wear these things? Oh, because you could, maybe, possibly, “distract” someone. Since when should it be someone’s responsibility to decide what to wear based on the opinions of people who haven’t even gone to a middle/high school in over twenty years? And on the off chance that someone did get distracted, why shouldn’t they get in trouble, instead of the person who’s wearing the “inappropriate” clothes?

Even though most of the dress code rules are targeted at girls, boys are still discriminated against. No one wins. In this situation, boys are treated as mindless zombies who are only at school to look up girl’s skirts. At the same time, girls are being made to feel bad about showing their bodies, instead of simply embracing them and how they look.

There have always been dress codes for places such as school and work. In 2015, a girl named Cameron Boland in Fort Meyers, FL, lost her national honors society title just because of something she wore. What did she wear? Spaghetti straps. Wow, it’s not like girls have… shoulders or something. Even worse, there have been several cases similar to Cameron’s.

Now, I’m not saying that people should be able to come to school wearing as little as possible, but I am saying that the rules as they stand right now are too strict. Will the world end if someone’s knees are showing? No. Will someone die if they see someone’s back or bra partially exposed? No. Will someone have a heart attack if they see someone wearing spaghetti straps? I think you see where this is going.

In the dress code’s defense, they are at least trying to keep people safe. Yes, there could be a circumstance where someone gets distracted by another person’s clothes. But it’s not the fault of the person wearing the clothes; it’s the other person’s fault for objectifying a girl just by what she is wearing. There needs to be some sort of balance, and right now there doesn’t seem to be much of it. I don’t think that schools understand that there’s a fine line between actually wearing something inappropriate and just showing some skin.