Your Source for Trojan News

The Link

Trojan/Titan Showdown

Image Courtesy of: Audrey Gollan

Image Courtesy of: Audrey Gollan

Image Courtesy of: Audrey Gollan

Lauren Stallman, EMS Press Staff

As you know, it’s football season. For us who live in Traverse City this means going cool crisp fall games, staring at a brightly illuminated field, watching the student sections cheer wildly, and hoping for a win for the Trojans. But there’s one game that has a special place in Traverse City’s heart.

On Friday, September 8, more than a 1,000 people showed up at Thirlby field to watch the annual Trojan/Titan showdown. Dubbed the Patriot game, the match is designed to recognize our veterans and military officials as well as draw crowds. We get to watch past and present servicemen and women march out onto the field, hold their American flags high in the air, and salute to the audience. After they leave, the competitive East/West frenzy begins and everyone’s minds are set on football.  

This year as I walked through the gate, I spotted my friends, the concession stands, the huge field, and so much more. My family and I plowed through the masses of people, searching for a seat. When we finally found one, I stared down at the tiny people on the field. We were so high up, they looked as though they were ants. As game began, the crowd started to wonder who would become victorious this year; our beloved Central High School Trojans or the West Senior High Titans.

In the end, the Titans won by two points. It was a sad day for all Trojans.  But we can still gloat about our three year winning streak. Eighth grader Maisie Smith moved here from England two years ago.  Before she moved the U.S. she didn’t really know much about football. Football is a unique pastime to America’s culture. The only sort in England that is similar is rugby, Smith said.

Even though we may have lost, we can already begin to look forward to next year’s game. Honoring our veterans is always a pleasure and we all enjoy the cross-town competition  Till then – Go Trojans!!